Best practices for cleaning your boat:
- Remove any plants or animals. Dispose of on land as per normal compost.
- Drain water from your boat motor, bilge, and wells. Let equipment dry completely if possible.
- Don't take on or release ballast water in port or near aquaculture facilities.
- Boats and trailers can be sprayed down with a hand-pump garden sprayer containing fresh water or five per cent acetic acid (vinegar). Safety glasses should be worn when applying vinegar. Equipment should be permitted to dry for a minimum of an hour before entering another body of water.
- If when cleaning your boat and equipment you detect an unknown and potentially new invasive species, obtain a sample and report
When moving your boat by trailer:
- Drain water from the boat and motor and any other areas that hold water.
- Remove plant fragments and other organisms from boat and trailer and discard on land as per normal compost.
- Rinse the boat and trailer thoroughly with water and allow to dry prior to entering a new water body.